Friday

A Religious Plant - Papyrus

Cyperus Papyrus

Some asked me if there was a religious plant / biblical plant.
So I dug a little deeper and found something I've remembered from my catholic upbringing.

Papyrus is a beautiful plant with a rich history and tradition. Where it can be grown it is both a striking accent in the environment and a great conversation piece. Soft green clouds of papyrus lined the Nile River during the time of the
pharaohs. In the Bible the infant Moses was found among the bulrushes, as Cyperis papyrus is also called. Ancient Egyptians kept records of their pyramid building activities on papyrus sheets, from which we get the word "paper."


The image to the right is, written on papyrus, the earliest substantial New Testament manuscript known to exist, a slightly mutilated codex of Paul's epistles from about the year 200 (2 Corinthians 11:33-12:9)
The image is borrowed...but I forgot from where. Feel free to let me know if you know, to pass on the proper credit, or to remove it if so desired.
Today papyrus is appreciated for its beauty and is often used in ornamental landscapes especially in pools, ponds and containers.
I got a plant from my favorite plant/seed supplier: centerofthewebb
 
There are different types of papyrus, some dwarf, some house plants, or the one that currently grows in my yard... Cyperus Alternifolius.

Grows nice and bushy around the fountain in the backyard.

Digg this

No comments: